Sunday, July 28, 2013

Soloing on a Shoestring - Case Management with your OS

When I first started my law firm, the budget was pretty much zero. I had plenty of computer skills, but no legal software to speak of. So I started to improvise while I started programming my own case management software and document generating programs.

One of the immediate issues is how to keep track of cases without case management software or a really messy stack of paperwork. Not surprisingly, keeping track of case objectives and when things are due is really pretty easy and can be done using the file management system of your preferred OS.


Now remember, this is just a stop gap measure. The rules are not set in stone. What is important is that you find a system that is comfortable for you and use it. This is how I started and it's evolved from there.

Enjoy.